Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The art of an interview

I have spent considerable time pondering my latest foray into qualitative study – the interview. My subject was a close friend who happens to be a masters student studying engineering. I chose her because she was willing to be interviewed and I wanted to "slide into the shallow end of the pool" of interview protocol for my first effort instead of "diving into the deep end" (so to say).

I found the interview was a bit difficult. Naturally I tend to be a conversationalist, but I felt stiff during the interview. Certainly this must have affected by subject. How could it not? I have subsequently spent time asking myself, "What did I do wrong?" and, "How can I do it all better next time?" 

The answers do not come simply. Each interview seems certain to be as unique as each subject being interviewed. Settings change, moods change, and people change; the dynamics just cannot be replicated with ease. What is a researcher to do? I struggle with manipulating the interview setting too much as I do not want to cause the setting to dramatically alter the outcomes. For this interview we sat down in the participant's home over a cup of coffee. We were in her domain, at her house, sitting at her table. Possibly I was the nervous one. Possibly she was at ease, and her answers flowed from comfort and familiarity. But possibly not. I have no way of knowing.

Next time . . . like my former orchestral conductor said, "Practice makes better!"

No comments:

Post a Comment